Ok Ok, so this isn’t particularly healthy I have to admit, but it’s Thanksgiving time and I figure it’s ok to indulge every now and then. It’s great party food to put in the middle of a side table for people to keep nibbling on, maybe with a bowl of salty popcorn and nuts. Or even prepare this as a little food gift for your friends for Christmas. Who wouldn’t like some delicious homemade caramel popcorn, especially when it comes in a cute popcorn bag?
Caramel White Chocolate Popcorn
– 3/4 cup popcorn (makes a large bowl!)
– 1 cup chopped mixed nuts (pecans, peanuts, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, brazilian nuts, anything goes!)
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 3/4 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 cup maple syrup
– 1/2 cup butter
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 vanilla sugar
– 1/2 bar white chocolate
1. Pop the corn (Heat olive oil in a large pan and add the corn. Close the lid and wait for the >pop< sound!), then mix with the chopped nuts and set aside
2. Mix the sugar and the cinnamon well, then add to a pan with the maple syrup and butter. Heat the mixture up until it starts to bubble (note: don’t let it bubble too much, otherwise it will turn concrete hard)
3. Add the vanilla sugar and baking soda, your bubbling mixture will foam up a bit.
4. Pour the gooey caramel over the corn nut mixture and mix well in the bowl. Lay out the popcorn on a baking tray and let harden for about 1-2 hours.
5. Melt the white chocolate, then pour over the caramel popcorn and let sit again for about 1 hour before serving so it can harden.
6. Once fully hardened, you can fill up the popcorn in little containers or put it into a large bowl.