Around Christmas time, I miss being in Germany and stopping at the Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) in the early evening to browse all the little gift huts and indulge in some food that I would usually not even touch. Potato fritters (Roesti) with apple sauce, crepes, Gluehwein (mulled wine). Usually, my sister is a bad influence and talks me into sharing all these goodies!
This year I am celebrating the Christmas time in Istanbul and though there is Christmas decoration in shops, it is not quite feeling festive. So I’m gonna go ahead and create some festive winter cheer myself.
This is a healthy dinner take on the potato fritters with apple sauce.
Spinach Roesti with yoghurt sauce (makes enough for 2 hungry people)
– 2 potatoes
– 1 bunch of spinach
– 1 tbsp rice flour (or normal flour if you prefer)
– 1 egg
– 2 scallions
– 2 radishes
– 3/4 cup of yoghurt
1. Heat water in a pot and once it’s boiling, add the washed spinach. Turn off the heat, close the lid and let the spinach cook for a minute. Drain and chop.
2. Wash and peel the potatoes, then grate.
3. Wash 1 scallion, cut into thin slices.
4. Mix the spinach, potato, scallion, egg and flour.
5. Heat vegetable or coconut oil in a pan. Take a large tablespoon full of the mix and put in the pan. This should end up as a little palm sized patty.
6. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
1. Cut the other scallion into thin slices
2. Wash and cube the radishes
3. Mix scallions and radishes with yoghurt.