There is nothing more warming than a good oatmeal for breakfast. It sets up up nicely for the day!
When I was living in Edinburgh for a few month a few years back, I had a very plain version – oatmeal made with water and lemon juice. Maybe a little sprinkle of cinnamon. I won’t do that to you, so a bit more wholesome version here!
Wholesome winter porridge
– 1/2 apple
– 1/2 cup glutenfree oats (or normal oats if you prefer)
– a handful of mixed nuts & fruits (I used coconut flakes, almonds)
– 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or normal milk if you prefer)
– a small piece of jaggory for sweetening (alternatively honey)
– 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Cube the apple (leave 2-3 thin slices for garnish later). Put in a small pan along with the oats and nuts & fruits.
2. Add the milk and bring to a simmer and add the jaggory.
3. Stir well while simmering until the milk is gone and you have an almost gluey oat mass.
4. Transfer over into a bowl and garnish with thinly sliced apple and cinnamon. Eat while it’s warm!