Is anybody else tired from preparing meals and putting elaborate work into cooking for Christmas? But not quite ready, yet, to let go of those rich meals? I have a delicious… no, let me rephrase… AMAZING and easy option for you! Baked Cheese!
It’s best with a richer soft cheese. I chose well-riped Mont d’Or cheese that I was lucky enough to buy in one of the many cheese shops in Amsterdam. Gosh, I love a good strong cheese! Neither the taste nor the smell are for the faint-hearted, but if you stick out the smell it’s worth every drop of gluey rich goodness!
This is really easy peasy to make. The cheese comes in a round wood box, just bake it as it is in the box – and voila, there you have your own little cheese fondue dinner in a box!
Baked Cheese (or Cheese Fondue in a Box!)
– strong soft cheese in wood box
– 1 clove or garlic
– 4-5 spruce of thyme
– 1/4 cup red wine
1. Leave the cheese in its box, remove the lid and any plastic wrapping if there is.
2. With a small thin knife, make a few cuts on the surface. Slice the clove of garlic and put the garlic slices as well as the thyme into those cuts.
3. Pour the red wine on top
4. Put into the oven at about 300 degrees celsius and bake for about 20 minutes until the surface is bubbling
5. Eat with some bread or mushrooms. Or anything else that you like dipped in cheese, really.