So my other half is obsessed with black beans. I don’t know why, but he is. Chicken with rice and beans and he is in culinary heaven! So I tried a different version of the Italian ‘arancini’, the fried and delicious risotto ball stuffed with cheese.
This version is baked instead of fried and also is closer to latin cuisine. As that it goes really well with tacos for example.
Latin no-fry risotto balls
– 1/2 cup of risotto rice
– 1/2 cup cooked black beans
– 2 slices of cheese (any kind you want)
– 2 eggs
– 1 cup of bread crumbs (I crumbled some gluten free bread for this)
– 1 cup yoghurt or quark
– 1 lemon
– 1 clove of garlic
– some fresh cilantro
1. Cook the risotto rice with about 1 cup of water so you get nice gluey rice.
2. Mix rice with beans and cheese and set aside for a few minutes until it’s cooled down.
3. Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Add some salt.
4. Form golf-ball sized balls with the rice mix. Dip into the egg, then dip into the bread crumbs.
5. Repeat until all rice is used up.
6. Put the rice balls into an oven-safe dish and bake in the oven at about 300 degrees celsius until the bread crumbs turn gold brown. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
7. Mix yoghurt, lemon, garlic and chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the risotto balls.